I am SO excited to finally share this project with you! Along with building in cabinets and counters in my laundry (coming soon!), this was the heftiest DIY project I have ever taken on. (OK, my husband helped a little too, but only because you can’t mount cabinets single handedly.) I couldn’t be more thrilled with how it turned out! When we moved in, there was about a six foot empty niche just beyond the laundry room. Here’s the layout to give you an idea of what I was working with.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
So, I began to dream, and plan, and sketch, and price, and here’s what I envisioned. (Like everything else in my house, someone spilled something on it.)
We used some premade (assembly required) Utility Cabinets by ClosetMaid that we purchased from Home Depot on this project. They were a LOT cheaper than even stock or unfinished cabinetry, and this configuration happened to fit almost perfectly in this space. They seem very good quality and the TuffShell powder coating seems like it will be indestructible, which is a big plus in this family! (I got nothin’ from HD or ClosetMaid for this reviow, just my honest opinion.)
First I framed out the bench to span the whole niche, screwing the 2 x 4’s into the studs to make sure everything was super sturdy. I changed up the spacing of the legs a little to create 4 spaces underneath the bench seat for the shoe bins for each of the kids. Both the legs and a couple of vertical 2×4’s added some additional strength to the bench. This was probably overkill, but I’d rather be safe than sorry. 😉
I pre-stained some 1×8 planks to run the length of the niche and screwed them down to the framing. Then we started installing the cabinets I had assembled.
Once the cabinets were up, I started all the finishing work. I was kind of ADD about this part of the project, because I was getting so excited about how it was turning out. I ordered these cheapo canvas bins from Walmart and had to put them in place as soon as they came. I started painting and installing trim, but then decided I should do something fun to the back wall before I finished the trim work. I freestyled a herringbone pattern with some painter’s tape.
And got ready for some paint!
Once the herringbone wall got some slate blue paint and the tape came off, I finished the trim work, filled and touched up holes, installed the board with the jacket hooks, and the final touch was painting some grain sack inspired red stripes on the top bins to tie them in and give them some interest as well. And here it is all finished up!
I feel such a sense of accomplishment with this project, and I’m sure we saved so much dough over what it might have cost to hire the job out to a carpenter. All said and done, I’m sure it came in under $400. It’s awesome to have all that storage and will be so great to have a place for the backpacks, jackets and all the school stuff once we’re back to school (just around the corner!)
I hope you like it as much as I do! 🙂 Making real headway finishing up the laundry room, so hopefully I’ll be able to share that soon as well!